How much should I be saving? | UK average savings by age
Like most things, saving money is a marathon not a sprint, and deciding how much money you should be saving isn’t an easy decision. Simply put, you should save as much as you can afford to each month - to help plan for your future as well as any unexpected emergencies – which people told us is the main reason they save money.
UK average savings by age
To help decide the right amount for you, we asked 2,000 people how much they save. Take a look at the infographic below to learn how people in different age groups are saving - from their 20s right through to their 70s.
The right time to save
So there you have it. You know how much money people put away each month, and that your 30s are your savings peak, with almost 60% of a 30 year old’s disposable income going straight into a savings account each month.
However, don’t worry if your savings plan isn’t across the finish line just yet. We’ve pulled together everything you need to know about savings accounts to help you make the right choice for your money.
1 Opinium conducted research among 2,004 adults living in the UK on behalf of Charter Savings Bank between 12th – 16th October 2018
Popular posts like this
- Charter Savings Bank wins Best Overall Savings Provider!
- 12 ways to save money at Christmas
- What kind of saver are you?
- Is an Easy Access account for you?
- We’ve made improvements to your maturity options journey
- Could a Notice account be good for you?
- Personal Savings Allowance – what’s it all about?
- We’re your ISA Provider of the Year - for the fifth year running!
- Cash ISA transfers – what do you need to know?
- Thank you for voting for us at the Moneyfacts Awards
- Supporting you through a bereavement
- Award-Winning Savings
- What we’re saving for in 2022 | Infographic
- A huge thank you!
- How much should I be saving? | UK average savings by age
- Savings accounts: everything you need to know
- Understanding different types of ISA
- Revealed: average pocket money in the UK
- The 9 most important ISA questions you need to ask
Financial Services Compensation Scheme
Your eligible deposits held by a UK establishment of Charter Savings Bank are protected up to a total of £85,000 by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, the UK’s deposit protection scheme. Any deposits you hold above the limit are unlikely to be covered. Please click here for further information or visit www.fscs.org.uk.